Vegan White Russian
My wife once lamented not being able to drink another cocktail with dairy in it since she started being vegan. I knew I had to fulfill my husbandly duties and find her a vegan Irish cream recipe. Fortunately it did not take long to find one here. on an awesome blog called The Clean Dish.
As I read through the recipe, I realized that with some modifications it could also be used to make a very tasty Dairy-Free White Russian, and what’s more it could be made into a party-sized quantity! I don’t know about you, but after a certain threshold of drinking in one night I’m done trying to be an artist and I just want to pour something into my glass that won’t kill me, so a pitcher of these in the fridge when I’m expecting people over is very handy.
- Coconut milk (2 cans 13.5 oz)
- Brown Sugar (1/3 Cup)
- Kahlua (3/4 cup)
- Cold Brewed Coffee (1 Cup)
- Vanilla Extract (1 Tbs)
- Vodka (3/4 Cup)
- Water (1.5 Cups)
- Cinnamon stick (1 whole)
- Fresh Ginger Root (1 inch piece)
- Nutmeg (1/4 tsp crushed*)
- Whole Cloves (1/2 tsp)
- Whole Black peppercorns (1/2 tsp)
- A small sauce pan
- A large pitcher
- A stirring spoon or whisk
- Measuring spoons & cups
*Crushed > Ground because you’re going to need to strain all these spices out. If all you can work with is ground nutmeg then its coo’ baby! To make it a little less stressful on you during the straining process, put the nutmeg in a tea bag.
Then you gotta:
- Cold brew some coffee or get your hands on some Barefoot Cold Brew.
- Pour your 1.5 cup of water into a sauce pan.
- Take your cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, ginger root and place them in the sauce pan. Place pan on the stove and set heat to high. Allow the water to boil for about 15 minutes, then take the pan off the heat and allow it to cool for at least 2 hours.
- Once your spiced water is cooled, strain out all of the solids so all you’re left with is some spiced tea.
- Pour your spiced tea into your large pitcher, then add in your coconut milk, Kahlua, vodka, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and whisk* it all together!
- Place your pitcher in the fridge to chill, and when you’re ready to serve it up, give it quick stir and pour it into some glasses over ice. If you plan on storing this overnight, be aware that separation is natural and will likely happen. Always stir before serving!